Thursday, January 21, 2016

Day 19: Manly Ways

One final thought. I used to think it was being the GM's girlfriend that got you ignored. Now I know it's just sexism.

A post about the friend zone.

Cartoon illustrating women's tampon, razor, and soap prices compared to men's prices for hygiene products.

Track Palin charged with domestic violence.

In a preliminary report prepared at the end of the mission, the delegates firmly stated that “in global context, US women do not take their rightful place as citizens of the world’s leading economy. In the US, women fall behind international standards as regards their public and political representation, their economic and social rights and their health and safety protections.” While all women are affected, minorities, the poor and certain other vulnerable groups are disparately impacted.

“Perfection is a disease of a nation. We overlay our faces with tons of make-up. We get botoxs and even starve ourselves to become that perfect size. We try to fix something but you can’t fix what you can’t see. It’s the soul that needs the surgery. It’s time that we take a stand. How can you expect someone else to love you if you don’t love yourself? You have to be happy with yourself. It doesn’t matter what you look like on the outside, it’s what’s on the inside that counts. Today, I want to put up a makeup-free photo. I know I have wrinkles on my skin but today I want you to see beyond that. I want to embrace the real me and I want you to embrace who you are, the way you are, and love yourself just the way you are.” – Julia Roberts.

Women Told Not to Go Out at Night Alone After Assaults Carried Out in Sweden, Finland, Germany, Austria and Switzerland

A teacher talks about how he grounded his daughter for wearing makeup.

Anita Sarkeesian posts a video to feminist frequency about strategic butt coverings for male protagonists and butt focus for female protagonists in video games. Legit.

Woman's ex boyfriend kills her and her new boyfriend.

"If you could see each and every time we’ve been broken into, closed up or forced open, pushed and pulled and prodded, used like an inanimate object, plaything, for the gratification of a confused little boys fragile ego dressed up in a man’s body…"

A video on gay men touching a vagina for the first time. "We expected a lot of backlash for this video, it will be interesting to see if this video gets the same attention as the 'lesbians touch penis' video since there are female genitals (and a topic about females as a whole) instead of a male genitals."

The number of women and girls in the United States at risk of female genital mutilation has tripled over the last 25 years, according to a government study released on Thursday.

Cartoon of a woman. It talks about how hairy girls get mean comments, razors given to them, and have even tried to shave themselves in places that's almost impossible to reach. All for the beauty standard.

"I say allegedly because Delevingne’s costume looks like Hutt-Slayer Leia’s metal bikini had a Pig-Pen baby with Red Sonja’s metal bikini. The result is a highly sexualized look that would be at home on any character named Barbarian Princess #3." On DC's Enchantress from Suicide Squad

White guy on shaming a pregnant woman: "I'm all for jokes, but when you are at work in a public place don't go for the "your child must have been an accident ie your'e a slut" jokes; they are a bit too insulting when speaking to strangers. Those are best kept amongst friends and safe company."

A woman reports on facebook: "At 36 weeks pregnant I have just visited the new Lidl in Wellingborough for the first time. The checkout woman looked at my bump and asked if there was 'nothing on tv that day', I didn't answer as I was a bit shocked she then asked again! I said no, thinking she would shut up but instead she said 'you couldn't have just read a book instead?' [...] This comment inferring that my baby was not planned was insulting enough."

"My 9-year-old daughter has never been shy about her preferences and opinions. Right before she began kindergarten, she asked if she could cut her hair short. Since then, it has varied in style, but has stayed pretty short. Over the summer she tried to grow it out to a chin-length bob, but once it began touching the back of her neck she demanded the adorable pixie cut she’s sporting now.
I think she looks fabulous, but people sure have a lot of opinions about it. I recently had a fun run-in with Twitter’s merry band of MRAs, and they hunted through my social media streams and found pictures of her, talking at length about how I “dress my daughter like a boy.” Setting aside tired definitions of gender, my kid tends to prefer clothes in the “girls” section of most stores, often choosing things like pink leggings covered in kittens or tees covered in pretty flowers. So, really, I don’t dress her like a boy — she simply has short hair."

A woman talks about being fat with short hair: "My personal shoulder-length, pink and dark brown tresses require an expensive triple dye process and take at least a half hour to style. Don’t get me wrong — I love my hair. But when my daughter asked me why I don’t get a pixie cut too, I blanched at the idea — taken down by my own internalized misogyny and my fear of looking, as a fat woman, like an engorged tick without my full and pretty hair. Ouch."

A man asks for cookies for being a good person. "I like a woman with long hair, but it isn't the end all and be all. When my wife heard that she would lose her hair to chemo, she had her head shaved bald, and I was fine with that because it was her choice. She also had a double mastectomy, and I adjusted to that as well. I made love to a bald headed woman with no tits, because it wasn't about her hair, or her breasts, it was because I loved her."

White background, black text:
man *proposing to woman*: you are so amazing And I want to spend the rest of my life with you.
man *after married to woman*: darn it! Now i am trapped. game fricking over. she done tricked me.

The trailer for Black Sails.

The doctor who ejaculated on a patient's face is being charged with sexual abuse.

A restaurant. On the side it says "Where do you wanna go? I Don't Care bar & grill." In text above it over the picture it says: "Every females favorite place to eat."

Soon you’ll be the “drug” she can’t get enough of, and you’ll be able to read her displays of desire for you, clear as day!

"She feels supported (you are taking care of her in manly ways)." Manly ways.

"You feel that same ache as she shares what’s going on in her life in that animated, oh-so-feminine way she does." Describing a man wanting a woman.

Well. The first female only game on TAG I plan on making a monthly thing is up.
Now I wait for the fallout.

A Washington GOP legislator asked a group of visiting teen girls whom were lobbying for health insurance to cover birth control if they were virgins and suggested one of them was not. The Rep has since issued an apology saying she was being motherly.

Picture of four children playing Magic the gathering. It says teach your children magic so they won't have drug money. All of the children are male.

15 year old women having a conversation "x is such a slut, but in the best way possible."

Anthro Art

A list of the 12 most powerful Jedi according to the current canon (not any expanded universe). One is female.

A conversation with my partner today. Which I conclude with "everything about me, my life, and my body is a careful decision and a continued struggle against sexism. Nothing just is. And nothing is fully mine."

Caught my inner monologue calling my laundry room nemesis a bitch.

A friend posts: "A guy tweets a picture of him and Amy Schumer and makes a joke about her sex life. Amy calls him out on it, because it was sexist bullshit. Now some people are calling her out as they think because she is a comedian, she should have thick skin and he's just a kid and she's just being a bully. Or because she was in a movie where her character was promiscuous, she shouldn't be offended by the original remark. because, you know, if you're in a certain profession, you should never be able to get offended about something, or because you did something at some point in your life, you should never get to call people out on things."

A friend posts about the costs of an ultrasound. She adds a bit at the bottom to clarify she is not pregnant.


No comments:

Post a Comment