Friday, February 26, 2016

Day 56: I can tell you're wild

How a new proposed bill by the GOP will impact single mothers: "In short, if a single mother will not name the father of her child, and another family member doesn’t step forwards to offer financial assistance, then no birth certificate will be issued and the family will not be eligible for state financial aid."

A woman tells me how when she tried to escape a domestic abuse situation, shelters asked her to prove with police documentation that she was abused or else they wouldn't take her. 

Spent my lunch trying to raise money to get a woman and her children to a safe place away for her stalker ex.

Just got yelled at by a man for ignoring him. 

T-shirt of Velma in a sexy pose. 

When you're waiting for a streetcar and then one comes and the bros step forward ahead of you because they're dudes. 

Image of evidence sitting around. "There are over 800,000 untested rape kits in the USA going back decades. Drugs are tested the first week an arrest is made."

"There is no money to be made in rape cases..drugs are what makes the cops $$$ sad truth" Comment on the rape kits picture. 

A man argues that rape kits remain untested because women change their minds.

Paul Bernardo's DNA was taken after he was suspected of being the Scarborough Rapist. 14 rapes and two murders later, they got around to testing it. 

Tweet: "Schrodinger's douchebag: A guy who says offensive things & decides whether he was joking upon the reaction of the people around him."

"schrodinger's sjw: a social justice warrior who decides if someone racist/sexist based on whether or not the person is white/male."

A woman talks about wearing a bikini in public and what people said online: "The truth is that even in this extremely crowded venue, no one really had anything to say about our swimwear. I didn't notice any more staring than usual. And we had bigger issues trying to find an inner-tube to use on the lazy river than we did with wearing bikinis in public.
Online, this photo quickly became my most-liked Instagram picture ever, garnering 1,100+ likes and 44 comments. One comment read, "It's great to see more women loving their bodies and being confident," while others wrote, "They rocking them suits." The comments, even the ones I had to plug into Google translate, were mostly all positive. Save for ones that makes me cringe, like, "Wow... looking so sexy my style." I immediately blocked this person, but for the sake of this experiment, left the comment even though reading it still makes me feel uncomfortable."

"I was following walking directions on my phone when a club promoter stopped me on the street. He asked if I was going to the party that was being put on by the trade show I had attended, and I replied that I was still thinking about it.
He got pushier and in my face, so I started to walk away. Then he grabbed my arm and said, "If you don't want to party, you shouldn't get naked." I immediately went into survival mode and started walking as fast as possible. As someone who has been a victim of sexual assault, I'm easily triggered by comments like this and I don't feel safe.
He yelled after me, "I can tell you're wild." I walked faster. Of course, I had put the wrong address into my GPS and I ended up having to walk by my harasser again. Thankfully, I had met up with my friend, so I wasn't alone. I warned her about what he had said and she told me that he had said something to her as well. This time he told us, "You're making the biggest mistake of your life not talking to me," and my friend and I walked by as quickly as we could."

"With rental prices going up in major cities across the globe, a sizeable percentage of women report being in an unwanted sexual relationship to avoid homelessness." 

"A spokesperson from the National Domestic Violence Hotline characterizes this dynamic as "economic or financial abuse." Examples of this can include giving a person an allowance and closely watching how they spend it or demanding receipts for their purchases, or placing your paycheck in their bank account and denying you access to it."

"Of 2,040 people polled, 28 percent of surveyed participants currently in a relationship admitted that financial security was a key factor keeping them with their current partner."

"Kaylin, 23, suffered horrendous physical injuries at the hands of her controlling boyfriend, who she became emotionally and financially dependent on after losing her job."

"It came to a head that July, when she left him for good. The confrontation was violent and the blows Kaylin suffered gave her a concussion. With no place to go, Kaylin went to a library and they helped her get to the hospital. "He smashed my head against doors, floors, and walls. I had a bong smashed over my head. I had severe soft tissue damage done to my right hand from protecting myself, and had a bruise on the left side of my hip and the side of my right knee," she says. "Then I called my mom and she was there straight away." Kaylin is now a care assistant and campaigns for domestic violence victims with the charity Refuge." 

"A middle-aged woman, her face not shown, her hands painted with henna, is talking about “haraam ki boti,” Hindi for “an amorous lump of flesh.” She is referring to the clitoris in female genitalia that a number of cultures around the world believe must be cut to control or tame sexual desire in women. “Many sins are eliminated from the society if a wife is satisfied with her husband,” another woman says in the award-winning Indian documentary in which both women appear, called “A Pinch of Skin.”" 

"Over the years, many have come to Garden State's defense in this regard, stating, correctly, that it was far from the first movie to introduce such a trope (that'd be 1938's Bringing Up Baby), and certainly not the last. Yet just as many have blamed the movie for starting the widespread trend of introducing a rather unbelievably formed female character solely as a prop for the far more complex male lead. Even Portman herself has weighed in on the debate, saying at the 2015 Toronto Film Festival that the MPDG is a "troubling trope" that she recognizes existing in Garden State. When I ask Braff his thoughts on the matter, he's defensive, saying that he gets the criticism but quickly adding that the choice made sense at the time; he's willing to admit that the trope exists, but, understandably, denies that it was a mistake to include it in the first place."

A woman comments on the new CBC documentary "Girls night out": "Young women aren’t drinking more. They’re actually drinking less. Significantly less, if you believe Statistics Canada. According to the most recent numbers from Statscan, the number of women aged 12 to 19 who reported having four or more drinks at one sitting at least once a month in the past year (the fantastically stringent guidelines for what Health Canada classifies as “heavy drinking”) dropped nearly 16 per cent from 2010 to 2012.
There were similar though slightly less precipitous drops in heavy drinking among women under 35 as well. The age groups for whom drinking actually did rise, according to Statscan, were 35- to 44-year-olds and over-65s – the onset of middle age and old age being the presumed reasons to take to the bottle.
And that’s not to mention that, on average, men drank far more than women in every age group, and middle aged men were the most committed boozers of all."

"Vaguely based on the book Drink: The Deadly Relationship Between Women and Alcohol by Ann Dowsett Johnston, the documentary takes a complex and multilayered topic and reduces it to an episode of Girls Gone Wild narrated by church ladies. Girls’ Night Out is a patronizing, fact-averse travesty, the broadcast equivalent of TMZ’s never-ending gallery of D-list actresses staggering out of nightclubs, lipstick and bra straps askew.
This sort of sexist voyeurism cloaked in the guise of moral shock is nothing new to the celebrity tabloid press, but the producers manage to take it one wobbly, retch-inducing step further into outright misogyny. The deeper thesis of Girls’ Night Out comes in the form of old-fashioned victim-blaming – a disturbing message coming from the CBC, particularly in the wake of the Jian Ghomeshi trial." On Girl's Night Out, the new documentary from CBC.

"Former three-time Sports Illustrated cover girl Cheryl Tiegs, who is not a doctor, says that body activist and current Sports Illustrated plus-size cover girl Ashley Graham is "unhealthy.""

"For nearly 17 years, K.T. has been living with a secret. In 1999, during the conflict in Kosovo, she was gang raped by Serbian forces.
When her son found out, she says, he had a question for her: “Why didn’t you ask them to kill you instead?”
If that was the reaction of her own family, what would the neighbors say? Fearing the humiliation, she suffered in silence. She says she tried to commit suicide. When she talks about that day, she still sometimes says it would have been better if she had been killed." 

"It takes years as a woman to unlearn what you have been taught to be sorry for." - Amy Poehler 

"While security cameras were rolling inside a police station, three officers appeared to take advantage of a young, intoxicated woman.
The officers are seen groping the woman while taking lewd photos with their cell phones. At one point, the woman’s skirt is even lifted by one of the officers."


No comments:

Post a Comment