Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Day 52: Rape you to death

A woman talks about a movie substituting the males for females. People say the movie sounds like a chick flick or downright ignore it. The story is the lion king.

"“Just remember exactly what I’m wearing right now just in case I go missing," the woman tells her roommate. She looks through her purse and lists all her essential items: Rape whistle, switch blade and, of course, pepper spray."

Peyton Manning’s many media prizefighters were out in full force on Saturday after the New York Daily News published a thorough account of a sexual-harassment claim levied against the 39-year-old quarterback when he was a college-football superstar at the University of Tennessee.

"Any man can treat a lady right for one night, but it takes a great man to treat her right for the rest of her life."

Taylor Swift gives $250,000 to Kesha to support her during this time.

"Melissa’s life was changed forever the night she was viciously attacked by a murderous ex-boyfriend, but in one crucial way the evening’s events also changed her for the better." Melissa was stabbed 32 times. 

"Women accounted for a measly 1.9% of directors who created the top 100 grossing films of 2014, a study by USC's Annenberg School for Communication and Journalism found. And that figure gets even more disappointing when you look at top films from 2007 to 2014 (excluding 2011) and consider race."

"I have experienced sexism in that I have been directed by male directors 17 times and only twice by women. Of the producers I've worked with 13 have been male and only one has been a woman. But I am lucky: I have always insisted on being treated equally and have generally won that equality. Most of the problems I have encountered have been in the media, where I have been treated so incredibly differently from my male co-stars. I think my work with the UN has probably made me even more aware of the problems. I went out for a work dinner recently. It was 7 men … and me." Emma Watson talks about her career and sexism

"Watson also told hooks she's taking a year off from acting to focus on personal development, including reading a book a week. " 

A woman talks about beauty: "Beauty isn't a rent that I pay for occupying the space labelled female"

Tweet: "It's not my responsibility to be beautiful, I'm not alive for that purpose. My existence is not about how desirable you find me."

"If you're a lazy girl, there's one thing you should know about granny panties. When it comes to our underwear drawer, there are many options we can tinker around with: You've got your string bikinis, your thongs, your boy shorts, and your high waist options. But if you're a lazy human like me, chances are you're going to want to opt for the comfiest option available: Your ginormous granny panties." I'm not sure how wearing underwear you like makes you lazy.

“Female feminists never shave their legs or armpits.”

"In 2013, Nayara Justino was fairly voted as the Globeleza Carnival Queen by the public. Unfortunately, under inexplicable circumstances, she was stripped of the crown and a new queen with a lighter skin complexion was nominated by Globo.
Dethroning Justino and replacing her with a woman with a lighter skin tone had an overt hint of racism, leaving many with questions."

"The winner of the Miss Transgender UK pageant was stripped of her crown for not being “full-time” transgender, the organiser has claimed."

Tweet: "Dr Luke literally created the party/drunken girl image for kesha so that when this all came out she wouldn't be taken seriously."

"She looks like someone who really starves for attention. Yes, I am judging her by her looks, why? Because if someone threatens you on the net, turn your computer off. It really is THAT simple." A man comments on a Zoe Quinn story.

“It’s exhausting, and the whole point of this is to try to reclaim my humanity and stop having to be a ‘good victim’ for the court system,” Quinn said. “So I decided to be an absolutely terrible victim by speaking up” about the legal process.

"“I had every advantage,” said Wu. “I spoke to people in Congress, there were hundreds of articles, there was a ‘Law & Order’ episode based on our case — I don’t know what other incentive they could have to investigate. Even if you do everything right, the police will not help you.”" 

"Anita Sarkeesian, a longtime feminist game critic and friend of Quinn’s, went into hiding after Gamergate began passing around her full name and address. Brianna Wu, the 38-year-old co-founder of the game studio Giant Spacekat, who mocked the growing outrage on Twitter, received more than 200 death threats."

"“If I ever see you are doing a pannel [sic] at an event I’m going to, I will literally kill you,” one person messaged Quinn on Tumblr, according to court documents. Wrote another: “I’m not going to stop spreading your disgusting nudes around and making sure your life is a living hell until you either kill yourself or I rape you to death.”"

"According to a review by Danielle Citron, a professor of law at the University of Maryland and the author of the book “Hate Crimes in Cyberspace,” only 10 cyberstalking cases were filed in federal courts between 2010 and 2013, despite statistics suggesting that millions of people had been stalked or harassed online during that time. In June, Rep. Katherine M. Clark (D-Mass.) introduced legislation that would force the Justice Department and FBI to devote more resources to cyberharassment, because — as she said, on the House floor — “we are failing these women.”" 

“Is there any way to back out?” Quinn emailed assistant District Attorney Mary Nguyen on Jan. 15. “He did another post yesterday and now stuff like this is popping up. . . . ”
She attached a screenshot from the Reddit topic thread “GGFreeForAll”: “If Eron goes to jail,” the post reads, “I will hunt Zoe Quinn down and rape her.”"

"Since August 2014, when her ex-boyfriend, Eron Gjoni, posted a 9,000-word screed about her online, Quinn and her family had been deluged by threats so severe that Quinn fled her home in Boston, afraid for her life. Gjoni’s online “hate mob,” as Quinn described it to a municipal judge that September, had unearthed her address and old nude photos, hacked her website, promised to kill and rape her, and placed multiple threatening calls to her father’s home in upstate New York — all of which Quinn had meticulously documented and organized in evidentiary zip-drive folders."

A woman who wrote a piece of being afraid of men follows it up with thanking the internet for not harassing her about it. "I’m as surprised as anyone that I have not yet seen any of the vitriolic hate that women on the Internet seem to usually face when they talk about harassment and gender." 

A man makes a comment on a friendzoning article: "what about the quiet guys who have real relationship goals in mind?
what about the guys who want to be there for the woman he likes when she needs support? what about the guy who has spent years as a “friend” for a girl when her “man” of choice is a six pack’d tatoos from cock to ears douchebag who couldn’t hold a job at fast food places for more than a month at a time?
what about the guy who has a financial future but is rejected because he’s overweight?
what about the guy who is so alone that death is increasingly becoming a good idea because nobody wants him for reasons he can’t figure out?
what about the guy who gets rejected because he actually shows human emotion and cares about the woman he likes?
what about the guy whos been rejected when he genuinely loved the girl since childhood?

what about the men in the world who deserves to know what true love and affection feels like for the first time in their lives?"

A survivor writes: "I was stalked by an extremely jealous ex-boyfriend (why we broke up) whow would call me up whenever I went out of town wanting to know where I’d been. He would tell me what time I left and what time I returned. After a teen girl and a divorced were bother killed by exes within a week, I came home after visiting my family for the weekend and waited for him to call. I told him, “Since you’re stalking me, there’s something you need to know. If you continue to stalk me, I am going to buy a gun and kill you.” He hasn’t called since. I was working for a newspaper as a reporter and wrote a series of article about domestic violence which featured the account of a nurse who was stabbed in the back by her ex and only lived because she knew what to do and another woman who was being stalked and harassed by her ex. He asked to tell his side of the story to my male editor. "

"There are so many violent friend-zoned men out there that there’s a Tumblr blog called Women Who Refuse dedicated to women who were harassed, beaten or killed after refusing a man’s advances. The blog has hundreds of entries. One guy killed a girl’s puppy by throwing it out her third-story window after she refused to sleep with him." 

"Sixteen-year-old Maren Sanchez was stabbed to death in April of 2015 by a classmate for saying no when he asked her to prom."

"Last November, 27-year-old Mary Spears was shot dead in Detroit.
Why? For not giving a man her phone number, while at a funeral for one of her late family members."

“Why is she dating that asshole when I’m a perfect gentleman? When he hurts her she’ll be sorry, and maybe she’ll finally appreciate how nice I am to her.”

“Why wouldn’t you want to date me? I’m a nice guy.”


"And she friend-zoned me.
I got pissed, stopped talking to her, and told all of my friends how cold she was and how she would be lucky to be with a nice guy like me.
Someone who genuinely cared about her feelings."

Tweet: "The fact that Chris Brown still has a thriving music career but Kesha won't be able to record speaks volumes about our society."

White background, black text: "Ever notice how when justifying a child's behaviour no one ever says stuff like 'girls will be girls' or 'she's just a girl', but the list of things a 'young lady' can't do is almost endless? You learn from a young age that masculinity comes with freedom, femininity comes with restrictions."


"Lloyd Oliver, a Democratic candidate for district attorney in Harris County, Texas, has a problem with domestic violence: He thinks it's prosecuted too much.
Oliver told the Texas Observer Wednesday that domestic violence is "so, so overrated." If elected, he indicated he'd redirect resources away from family violence to focus on other issues."


A woman makes a diagram of the pyramid of Sexual Violence. At the top is Murder. -> Rape, Sexual Assault, Physical & Emotional Abuse -> Harassment and Threats & Verbal Abuse -> Traditional Roles, Glass Ceilings, Rigid Gender-Based Stereotypes -> Sexist/Homophobic/Transphobic Jokes, Problematic Language & Objectification.
A joke is not just a joke. It's abuse. 


No comments:

Post a Comment