Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Day 72: What my rapist was wearing

Tweet: "Rape culture is focusing on 0.3% of rape accusations that turn out to be false, rather than the 90% of rapes that go unreported." 

A woman is asked to remove her hijab at SXSW registration. 

"I'm here to tell women everywhere how now to get raped. Because it's totally our responsibility, right?" A woman says on a video.

"Don't walk alone at night. Don't walk down an alley. If you think you're being followed make three right turns cause that means they just went in a circle. Never run upstairs if you're being chased because that means you could get trapped. Don't stop if you see a car on the side of the road. Here's some nail polish that will help you identify date rape drugs. Or get this adorable yet fierce keychain that can gouge someone's eye out. And on. And on. And on."

on a page about ending rape culture, one dude replies: "so accepting the fact we don't live in a perfect world and taking measures to protect yourself is "absurd" (Won't even go into the fact her advice is to "teach boys not to be rape" and how absurd that sentence is)"

A group of men on a page about ending rape culture say rapists are criminals, and telling criminals not to be criminals doesn't work, so teaching men not to rape won't ever work. 

Watson on gender equality: “We have to do more than help people see the logic [in gender equality] with their minds," she said. "It’s also about making them feel it in their bones. Viscerally, emotionally. This is what changes us, this is what makes us act."

Watson on turning 18: "I remember on my 18th birthday I came out of my 18th birthday party and photographers laid down on the pavement and took photographs up my skirt, which were then published on the front of the English tabloids the next morning. If they had published the photographs 24 hours earlier they would have been illegal, but because I had just turned 18 they were legal. I think that’s just one example of how my transition to womanhood was dealt very differently by the tabloid press than it was for my male colleagues." 

Men complain that women can get abortions.

"Women want equal rights, but not equal reproductive rights. THey want the right to murder a man's child! THat's not equal! That's sexist!"

I just told people for the first time ever that the University I work for recently decided to save money by no longer using/filling/maintaining the pad and tampon machines. Anywhere.
I WORK FOR A UNIVERSITY HOSPITAL. It's the biggest in the STATE.


A woman holds up a sign: "no one asks what my rapist was wearing."

A man comment's on the woman's sign. The sign says "no one asks what my rapist was wearing." Here's what the man comments: "Actually, if you file a police report, that IS one of the things they ask. 
But, y'know, that's assuming you do that instead of just holding up a sign."


P!nk releases a comment about women not needing their clothes to come off or to show off tits and ass to have self worth. And that women who don't do that will have pride and self respect. Way to shame women who find empowerment in taking off their clothes?

"Ahead of Captain America: Civil War’s May 6 release, Marvel has launched a program to support girls interested in science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM). The “Girls Reforming the Future Challenge” — supported by the National Academy of Sciences’ Science & Entertainment Exchange — encourages female students ages 15-18 in grades 10-12 to submit videos that demonstrate ideas they feel can change the world."

Emma Watson: "I feel like young girls are told this whole idea that they have to be this kind of princess and be all delicate and fragile and that's bullshit."


"A three-year old girl is the sole witness to the brutal gang rape of her mother and death of her baby brother.
A 28-year-old woman was reportedly attacked on a private bus in Utter Pradesh by two men while her daughter was hiding in the corner.
The pair forced the woman to drink alcohol before the rape occurred, and so she was unable to explain the attack to the police, the Times of India reports.

However, her three-year-old daughter had witnessed the whole ordeal, and told the police what had happened.
There are conflicting reports about exactly what happened to the woman’s 14 –day-old son, with the Times of India saying he was “flung to death by the two assailants”, while The Indian Express said that the boy “reportedly fell from her lap and died”."

Tweet: "men don't see us as human beings, potential friendships. We are sized up for consumption of some sort, then discarded if we don't fit."

"Brock University students responded with frustration and anger following a CBC News investigation that revealed a former student was asked to keep quiet about a report that found her professor gave her alcohol and tried to force himself on her sexually late one night in his office."

An article discusses how Xena and Gabrielle were covertly lesbians because sensors wouldn't let them have an actual lesbian couple. The remake plans to change that. 

Not digging Luna food shaming and fat shaming Serena in Sailor Moon.

" Last summer, I watched with pride as my 4-year-old daughter raised her foot, said a “kee-yaw!” from the bottom of her gut, and kicked the board in half. Her karate teacher, a jolly, encouraging sort, said, “You have a great smile, Grace.” And handed over her new belt, white with a yellow stripe
My heart sank. I started paying attention to what he told the other 15 kids—variations of: “You’re really strong!” “Great attitude!” “You’ve done some great listening!” It was only to the girls he’d offer the “great smile” remark."

"That same week, we’d visited the Glendale Public Library and checked out a simple board book on superheroes. I noticed that all the male superheroes featured were performing feats of strength and showcasing their powers—jumping off buildings, lifting cars, pulling what appeared to be a gigantic oil rig, and the like. The page featuring the solo female, Wonder Woman, showed her pushing a swing with a child in it. I was disappointed to have to explain to Grace that this didn’t count as a superpower. (I mean, parenting is its own kind of superpower, but in a different way.) Why wasn’t Wonder Woman shown in a more heroic light, as the others were? It might have been different if they’d added Batman whipping up some pancakes to make it more fair."

"There’s a kid at my daughter’s preschool I’ll call Lincoln. He’s a wild-minded little man, who had a tendency to tease her until she cried, and also, who pretended to shoot guns at her. I brought him up at the teacher conference, and the teacher understood my concerns, yet defended him. “I wish I could tell you all the hard things that kid has dealt with already in his little life. I have a soft spot for him, he’s really very sweet. I’ll talk to him.”
Shortly after, Lincoln and Grace became friends—to the point where she has a little crush on him. “I love him, and I think he loves me back, but he’s just afraid to show it,” she said. She also says she’s conflicted, as he likes to play weapons, but she knows she’s not allowed to.
This week, as she was going to the toilet, he came into the bathroom and turned off and on the lights. I heard about it after school, and brought it up to the teacher, who said she’d have a talk with the class about boundaries.
I don’t want to referee her friendships. I know kids this age are figuring out what is OK and not OK and they are obsessed with their bodies, and other people’s as well. My talk with Grace was more specific. “I want you to know that he was trying to embarrass you while you were in a vulnerable situation. On the toilet, you weren’t able to get up. Friends don’t try to embarrass each other,” I told her. “There will be times when you’re going to be asked to play guns, or to do things that you know aren’t right. I can’t be here to help you during those times. You have to speak up for yourself.”"

"I didn’t notice microbullshit, or even the macro kind, when I was growing up. I didn’t know that when I was 5, and my mom dropped me off to stay over at some strange kid’s house—his name was Skylar and he was maybe a year or two older, we barely knew this family—that it was not OK for him to spank my bare butt in the dark. I didn’t tell anyone, because I thought that was just how business was done."

"I didn’t know that when I was in corporate America less than a decade ago, presenting my glorious project to a bunch of male colleagues, that I didn’t need to laugh along with them when one remarked that I could now go back to the kitchen. I thought that was just how business was done."

GamerCat's first panel with a girl gamer cat is treated so stereotypically I want to cry.

"Karmenife Paulino, a 22-year-old graduate of Wesleyan University. Raped at a fraternity during her freshman year, she reasserted her sexual agency in a photoshoot entitled “Reclamation,” where she poses as a dominatrix on fraternity grounds."

"...France makes it a crime to judge any child under the age of sixteen on their physical appearance, which I find pretty groundbreaking..."


No comments:

Post a Comment