Friday, March 4, 2016

Day 62: Eat a dick and die

Green background, white text: "behind every 'crazy bitch' is just a sweet woman who got sick of everyone's crap."

The Nibovian Wife comes up from Numenera.

A friend talks about finally being comfortable in her skin as a nerd girl, and how awful it was being a nerd girl before nerdiness was popular

"Ohio Class Teaches Children that Men Think and Women Feel"

"Dress codes put the onus on students — usually girls — not to look "distracting," rather than teaching students to develop the discipline not to be distracted by them. In sending this message, schools also teach students — particularly boys — that women's bodies are inherently provocative, rather than teaching them not to sexualize women."

33% of Ontarians believe that the victim is responsible for what happens to them if they return to their abuser.

Zara Adel was murdered as was her children when she went home to her abuser.

Women won't leave an abusive situation if they think it's their fault, and society places that blame on them, such as seen in the Ghomeshi trial.

Interval House does a survey to see how Ontario does on Victim Blaming. 66% of Ontarians believe that women who say they are abused are lying or exaggerating. 

Eat a dick and die. 

Pink background, black text: "I see, so if I don't have sex with you i'm a prude bitch, if I use the pill I'm a slut, if I get pregnant I'm an idiot, and if I choose abortion I'm Satan. Yay."

"you're a girl. so act like one."

A discussion about the rape joke in Avengers 2.

Text reads:
"She was looking for it"
rape in France in 3 numbers
27% of French people feel that the rapist is less responsible if the victim was wearing something sexy.
20% think that a 'no' can often mean 'yes'.
30% of people aged 18-24 are sure that "women can get pleasure out of being forced during sexual relations" 

"The same survey also found that even if women do come forward, 66 per cent of Ontario residents believe they can be lying or exaggerating. This, despite the fact that 43.5 per cent of people surveyed know someone who has been abusive towards a romantic partner."

"Nearly half of Ontario men believe victims of abuse are to blame if they choose to stay in a violent relationship.
That statistic was released by Interval House on Tuesday. Interval House, the first centre for abused women and children in Canada, commissioned the survey after several high-profile abuse cases made the news.
According to the survey conducted by Angus Reid, more than 37 per cent of Ontarians believe that a person is responsible for the consequences if they choose to stay in a violent relationship. This belief is higher among men (46 per cent) than women."

"The treatment of British costume designer Jenny Beavan as she won her Oscar for Mad Max: Fury Road was profoundly awful. A series of men in the seats lining the long walk to the stage — important men are always given easy access — stared at her with open loathing, refusing to applaud.
Spotlight director Tom McCarthy, 49, openly laughed at her. Best Director (The Revenant) Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu, 52, drew his eyes up and down her entire body, looked repelled and kept his arms crossed. Steve Golin, 60, a rich man, producer of The Revenant and Spotlight, studied her and remained frozen.
Beavan is 66, heavy-set, with frizzy hair and little makeup, if any. In a Mad Max tribute, she wore leather jeans, a leather jacket with jewelled skull on the back, heavy scarf, and chunky jewelry. She looked brassy and cool, in other words a person who has worked on the signals, purpose and esthetics of film costuming for decades. Clothing sends out a declaration: hers said, “I’m the real thing. I design. I am not to be consumed.”"

The first time I got engaged, I wanted my partner to ask for my mom's permission because my dad was dead. 

"A groom asking the father-in-law for permission to marry his daughter comes from a time when women had little autonomy. “As love became more important to marriage than money, this tradition has continued, although it is not nearly as common as it once was, at least in middle-class America,” an etiquette guide from The Knot says. “Today, when a man asks his girlfriend’s father for her hand in marriage, he does so more out of respect than anything else.”"

"Also this week, Jade Roper of The Bachelor franchise revealed her own history of sexual assault inspired by Gaga’s performance." 

"Following Lady Gaga’s Oscar performance, Jaime King revealed that she is a survivor of sexual abuse on Instagram this week. Underneath a childhood photo, the 36-year-old actress shared that the abuse began when she was 12.
The caption reads, in part:
“Thank you to myself to not choosing to not make this a cover story though that was what was suggested to me, but to express from my heart to you all personally which felt the most honest way for me to speak.
Thank you for the switch that went off inside finally when I realized my silence said I cannot help nor change and that is not who I am. I love you all very much for creating a safe space. The time is now. I was about 14 here, it started at 12. Peace Be Still.”"

""No, we aren't going to the high school musical! I don't care if your friend is the lead role."
"You're not allowed to hang out with other guys, I don't care if you've been friends with them since first grade."
"I'm out of work early, leave your friend so we can spend time together... WE HARDLY GET TO SPEND TIME TOGETHER, LEAVE SO WE CAN HANG OUT."
...but he never hit me."

Where I grew up, a nice guy was the guy who didn't hit you. He could say or act however he wanted, but he was a good guy if he didn't hit you.

""I might kill myself if you leave me, I don't know what I would do without you."
"You're an adult, what your parents say doesn't matter."
"You are not allowed to go to parties at school unless I'm there."
I was in an emotionally, psychologically abusive relationship for two years of my life. Why wouldn't I leave? Because he never hit me."


No comments:

Post a Comment